Friday 29 May 2009

Day 14 - Buxton to Manchester



Woke up early after a good nights sleep - Pub grub and a few beers!! Unfortunately we couldn't see caravans parked 20m away - Fog! We slowly got ready and the sun started to burn off the mist, so I put on a rear light and we set off. (Yes, we - my brother had joined me to ride the last day). A steady drop into Buxton itself and then up to A5004 - Long Hill! Over the top it was a nice 5 mile descent - no pedalling. Then in was Whalley Bridge. Again trying to avoid the A6, we set off up over the back road to Disley (another hill!), but then the steady ride into the Steria office at Manchester Parkway, arriving at 11:30 to a great reception from colleagues.

From Parkway it was the short ride into Manchester city centre and the finish near the Arndale. On time, I pulled to the finish line to a great reception from colleagues who had come out into the Manchester sunshine. Also at the finish was my wife Rachel, with our children Rebecca and Matthew, ready to give Daddy a big hug and kiss.














A quick spray of Champagne and an interview by Tim Difford and then it was load up the bike and head for home - two loads of washing, a garage full of bike and bits to put away, have a bath, light the BBQ and chill...



Garmin Stats :
48.13 km / 2 hour 26 min / Av 19.8 kph / Max - 49.2kph

No last song of the IPOD today (I had my brother to chat to....) however thanks to a suggestion from Sarah Darbey, Rebecca has started to go through my IPOD tunes to find appropriate songs for the ride. For a 10 year old, she's got a warped sense of humour! So far....

Alive and Kicking – Simple Minds
Back to the Start – Razorlight
Beautiful Day – U2
Before I fall to Pieces - Razorlight
Bicycle Race - Queen
Blaze of Glory – The Alarm
Boredom – The Buzzcocks
Breathe – The Prodigy
Career Opportunities – The Clash
Dawn Chorus – Toyah
Day In Day Out – David Bowie
Don’t Stand so close to me - The Police
Don't stop me now - Queen
Easy – Terrorvision
End to End – Blondie
Everyday is a winding road - Sheryl Crow
Fame – David Bowie
Holiday in the Sun – Sex Pistols
I can see for miles – The Who
I can’t explain – The Who
I fought the Law – The Clash
I Will Follow – U2
I won't back down - Tom Petty
I’m going slightly mad – Queen
Keep the Faith – Bon Jovi
King of Pain – The Police
London Calling – The Clash
Madness – Madness
Mission Impossible – Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen
Only the Strong survive – McFly
Pride (In the name of love) – U2
Silly Thing – Sex Pistols
Sit Down – James
Smile – Lily Allen
Some like it Hot – Power Station
Strength – The Alarm
The Best – Tina Turner
The End - McFly
Thunder in the Mountains – Toyah
Tower of Strength – The Mission
Unbelievable – EMF
Where do you think you’re going – Dire Straits
Where the streets have no name – U2
White Flag – Dido
Wild is the Wind – David Bowie