Saturday 23 May 2009

Day 08 - Châtellerault to Freteval



Another bad day - long and hard. It was a strong headwind, showery and I got lost, as well as technical problems with the Sat Nav. The wind was soul destroying - even down hill I was having to pedal and it felt stronger than the day before. It didn't help that every now and then, there would be a downpour, making the roads greasy and me wet.

And then as we approached one town, there was a new by-pass. Well the Sat Nav didn't like that and just hung. I thought once I was back on the old road it would kick back into life. It wasn't to be and a quick on/off seemed to fix it - my data was held on the main screen. Thankfully at the end of the day I wrote it down, because when I came to download it, there was nothing there other than the overall distance and my legs could have told you how far they had been.

I also made a slight detour. I'll blame market day, but it was probably down to user error. It tried to send me down a closed street, so as I rode around town waiting for it to recalculate it then sent me on a different route. I should have stayed still whilst it re-routed - a lesson learned for next time!

And eventually to the campsite (an open campsite) It is actually in Cloyes-sur-le-Loir about 16 km further on, so I decided to ride it and hopefully knock that off tomorrows distance. Only the road has been upgraded to a dual carriage way / motorway. After a junction I decided it was time to bail out and find a more scenic / slower route in.

Message to the Bronte Wheelers - Don't worry, I won't be coming back a well tuned sports car, more a knackered old diesel, that struggles to start in the morning, plods along and just about gets through the day

Last song on IPOD today : Duran Duran - Save a Prayer

Garmin Stats :
170.9km / 8 hours 5 mins cycling time / 21.36 kmh average / 53.55 kmh max