Thursday 21 May 2009

Day 06 - Barsac to Angouleme







After writing the piece last night, there was a thunder storm and it rained heavy for a minute. The thunder continued to rumble for some time after but without the rain. When we woke up this morning the hillside was shrouded in mist, so the lights went on with a few more layers of clothing.

By 10.00 the mist had more or less cleared only to be greeted by another rain shower - this one only 30 seconds long, but enough to wet the roads..... and me. From there it was through some quiet back roads until we reached the beautiful town of St. Emillion, with its cobbled road up through the centre (how they ride the Paris-Roubaix, I don't know, a kilometre was enough for me and my backside). The other problem was the width restriction through town, but with some careful driving Rod managed to get through - just! From there it was through miles and miles of vineyards, all offering 'samples' and 'sales to the public', but as I went through they were all closed!!

It was then on to the first incident of the trip.........and it was with another cyclist. Passing through a village, an old lady decided to ignore the road signs and just rode across the road I was on with right of way. If I'd have been in a car I hate to think what would have happened. As it was, I flat spotted the back tyre and ended up with the back wheel off the floor. And she just carried on her own way. I wished her well and carried on. We also came across what appeared to be preparation for a rally this coming weekend - closed roads warnings, rally and recce cars. That would have played havoc with the Sat Nav. And eventually onto to Angouleme, to yet another closed campsite - even the French and Dutch were queued up outside this one, shrugging their shoulders - so it''s not just me! This was after Rod had gone ahead to find one , whilst I finished the day's ride, and we couldn't find each other in the city. So I decided to ride through and ended on the wrong road - arrrrrgh

Last song on IPOD today : The Jam - Down in the Tube Station at Midnight

Garmin Stats :
145.6km / 6 hours 9 mins cycling time / 23.66 kmh average / 57.73 kmh max