Wednesday 20 May 2009

Day 05 - Sallespisse to Barsac





5 down and 9 to go - Sounds better now it is a single digit

After a poor night - a combination of dehydration and sun burn, I have to admit that this morning was the first time I was wondering WHY? The exertion of yesterday, combined with that of the previous three days and my body did not want to get back on the bike. But I switched on my Blackberry - to check any messages and there was one from my daughter, wishing me luck for the day ahead.

So I reacquainted my backside with the saddle and set off from the campsite. After 15 minutes I checked the Sat Nav and realised I hadn't switched it on (thankfully only 6.5 km down the road - I've checked). The sun was already up and the manager had warned me today was going to be a hot one. Plenty of liquid and numerous stops (!) and he wasn't wrong. The first few km were very lumpy, 500m uphill followed by a quick descent and then repeating itself again and again. Mid morning we then entered a national park, after a quick buzz from a French Euro Jet fighter, it was kilometre after kilometre of straight smooth tarmac, through some beautiful, villages and lots of trees. Finally at the end of the ride, I passed through field after field of vines and lots of people looking after them - thank you!.

Onto the campsite, which again was closed and we were directed to another, which was also closed - but there was enough space just outside for the motorhome and the tent so we're staying put! If the sun is up again tomorrow I might have to cycle in a long sleeve top to protect my arms - even with suncream they look quite red!

Last song on IPOD today : The Alarm - Walk forever by my side

Garmin Stats :
152.7km / 5 hours 51 mins cycling time / 26.1 kmh average / 68.5 kmh max