Friday 22 May 2009

Day 07 - Angouleme to Châtellerault



Today was a bad day - long and hard. To start with when we looked at the route, it tried to take us a little out of the way. So I decided to be bold and replanned the day ahead. I carefully picked a route along roads that didn't exist on the maps (only the Sat Nav at 100m) - they were narrow, beautifully smooth tarmac and just a little grass starting to grow in the middle (Dad and Kev - I've not lost it, I can still find them).

The only thing that wasn't to order was the wind. I was heading NNE and guess where the wind was coming from - you've guessed it. Straight in my face all day. This made progress slow, combined with the constant checking of the route (Tim D - Thanks for the Blackberry. The 'Where I am' function has been invaluable)

When we finally made to Chatelleurault, we then had to find the campsite. A quick call into the Tourist Information and we were there and it was open - but only just. The grass hadn't been cut and the swimming pool was empty, but the water was hot, the showers working and a washing machine to clean the cycling kit for Monday. A nice evening meal (including pasta again) and I'm sat out in the sun typing this report.

A quick update on the bite and sunburn. The bite has settled down, just a nasty looking scab. The sunburn was OK, until today when I've misplaced (lost) the cream and therefore burnt again this afternoon. First job tomorrow for Rod - suncream.

PS. I'm over half way!

Last song on IPOD today : Bush - Insect Kin

Garmin Stats :
150.2km / 6 hours 38 mins cycling time / 22.6 kmh average / 51.00 kmh max