Sunday 24 May 2009

Day 09 - Freteval to Paris



Woke this morning to silence - no wind. Quickly up and into the normal routine - make up bottles with SIS energy drinks, take down tent, give bike a quick check, breakfast, dressed and then off. One kilometre up the road and it was blocked - to cars anyway, so I ignored the signs and Rod started following the 'detour' signs. The locals were still using the road and there were no blockages!, but it took another 30km before Rod caught up.

Progress was good - no wind, but the legs are starting to take a while to get going. And that was it until the edge of Paris. I said farewell to Rod - no point him trying to follow etc. and he went off to find the campsite and I followed the Sat Nav religiously. Someone at Garmin has got a warped sense of humour. As I got within about 5km of the Steria office, I had to negotiate a 1:6 (16%) hill and then straight down the other side. Why? That hurt after so many miles in my legs. Even the locals said I was mad, whilst we waited at the traffic lights. And onto the office so I could find my bearings in the morning and then onto the campsite - only 5km away on the banks of the Seine.

Tent pitched, we decided to treat ourselves and have a meal at the bar - it is open 365 days of the year.......except Sunday 24th May due to unforeseen circumstances. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! So back to the camper and one of Rod's gourmet meals. I have to say the food has been excellent on the journey, if a little unusual.

One little incident (almost) on the outskirts of Paris - Whilst admiring some of the local scenery, I out accelarated a Smart car and nearly rode into the back of it. It took another 200m before he finally pulled away.

Last song on IPOD today : Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

Garmin Stats :
145.8 km / 6 hours 14 mins cycling time / 23.3 kmh average / 59.50 kmh max