Tuesday 19 May 2009

Day 04 - Urroz - (Pamplona) to Sallespisse










A quick drive from the campsite back to Urroz Villa and the early morning sun had disappeared in low cloud. The local school kids that had met us yesterday, where there to greet us again - before they went into school. Even their teacher came across to wish us well. Quickly across the main road onto a nice back road started the gentle climb to the bottom slopes of the Pyrenees. The first major mechanical - a slow puncture, which I managed to ride on until I met up with Rod. On changing the tube we couldn't find the offending hole in the tyre, so I decided to change the tyre as well - just as a precaution for the climb and descent to come.

Once back on the road, the climb carried on steadily up the hills - not steep, just long. Half way up, the road levelled off for a while and then started to climb again. Passing through a village they had a sign 950m - only 125m more of climbing, when I turned the corner to find a 5 minute downhill and drop 100+metres before climbing to the summit. A quick stop and pictures and then the descent. I think I lived up to my MADMAN title. 20km averaging 40kmh and that included numerous hairpin bends. I had to wait for Rod at the bottom and I stopped for a few photos!!! Near the bottom it was 'Adios Espana' and 'Bonjour France'. It was also goodbye to the sun. Then it was another long slog to Orthez. When I got to the campsite, I realised I had burnt in the 'cloud' and the climb in the morning had really taken it out on my legs - This afternoon wasn't fun!!

And my hand is still swollen - I struggled to get my glove on this morning.
So I think I've earned a drink this evening.

A quick thank you -
To all the drivers in Spain (except one) for being courteous and more importantly leaving plenty of room
To the road designers in Spain for leaving 2m wide hard shoulder / cycle lanes even on the small country lanes
To Jaime for coming into the office on a Saturday morning

Thanks Spain

Last song on IPOD today : Dido - White Flag

Garmin Stats :
138km / 5 hours 52 mins cycling time / 23.5 kmh average / 71.5 kmh max